This essay is concerned with your developing awareness and understanding of a person’s lived experience of mental health problems. This can relate to either service-users or carer – please choose one of these only.
Select a media product where a personal account of experiencing mental health problems is being portrayed. This can include media types such as:
- Television documentary
- Newspaper / magazine article
- Internet blog/discussion forum
- Radio programme
(please note – the product selected should be detailed enough to provide you with sufficient themes to write about – something that a number of magazine articles for example may not do). The product needs to be afactual account and not the work of fiction.
- With the support of related literature, illustrate and discuss the nature of the personal experience being recounted.
- From your product identify a small number of core themes (essentially what a person is saying about their experience of mental health). The number chosen should enable depth of discussion.
- The resulting discussion will provide examples from your product i.e. quotes which can then be reflected against published literature and other first-person accounts
- You will need to include a good selection of references (recommended no. approx 25-30) taken from a range of source types (avoid overuse of web sites).
- Implications for practice – discuss the learning taken away from this and how it might influence your subsequent approach to practice.
Basically this part illustrates how your learning about the personal experience of a mental health issue will impact upon your future work in practice.