• Source, select and organise information cohesively according to academic conventions
• Develop knowledge and perspectives associated with the construction of nation
• Investigate and report on the impact of social decisions on nation and society 1 Note : The information in this subject outline was correct at the •Using new media technologies to develop an understanding of Australian society and culture
Please note that you MUST submit a copy of your written text (and research references) to Turnitin BEFORE you email your website link to your teacher.
Design a website that offers a historical and contemporary understanding of Australia in relation to JUST one (1) of the following topics:
INDIGENOUS AUSTRALIANS or ASYLUM SEEKERS or ASIA Once you have chosen your topic your next step is to carefully think about two things:
(1) What CONTENT to provide? (2) How to PRESENT your content?
Your task is to find out as much as you can about your chosen topic. Your content must contribute to the three core sections that your website must provide:
1. Historical Background
2. Contemporary Situation
3. Personal Reflection
Please ensure that your website is divided into these three (3) sections with corresponding headings (EXACTLY as written above). Each section must be between 300-500 words in length. The overall length of the project must be between 900-1500 words.
Provide some key historical facts about Australia and your chosen topic (and remember to reference your sources!). There may be many historical facts to choose from, but given the word limit just pick the key historical facts that you think are important or worth sharing with your Internet audience. (Relevant to Criterion 2. See Assessment Criteria on the last page of this Project Brief).
This section should provide information on the contemporary situation about Australia and your chosen topic (ONLY within the last 10 years). There may be many things you could say about the contemporary situation, but given the word limit just pick the key facts that you think are important or worth sharing with your Internet audience This section must also draw some information from at least two (2) internet news articles published within the last 10 years that contribute to an understanding of the contemporary situation. Please ensure that you provide clickable links to those news articles. (Relevant to Criterion 3. See Assessment Criteria on the last page of this Project Brief).
Lastly, you must provide a reflection section offering your personal thoughts about how you have come to understand Australia as a result of your findings. In other words, what is your impression of Australia in relation to your chosen topic and why? (Relevant to Criterion 4. See Assessment Criteria on the last page of this Project Brief).
The second thing you need to think carefully about is how to present your findings. You need to work out how you will design the website so that your content will be presented in an engaging and interesting way.
TO PREPARE YOU FOR THIS instructions on how to create a website for this assignment will be provided in your Learning Support Computer Workshop class in Week 10. PLEASE DO NOT MISS THIS CLASS. If you do, please contact your Computer Workshop teacher as soon as possible.
You will be graded on your choice of multimodal content, for example, your choice of images, audio and/or video and any other media content (relevant to Criterion 1. See Assessment Criteria on the last page of this Project Brief).
You will also be graded on the extent to which your multimedia content blends in with and generally enhances your written content (relevant to Criterion 6. See Assessment Criteria on the last page of this Project Brief).
Because your project will be presented in an online environment it is possible for your presentation to be very creative and thought provoking (relevant to Criterion 5. See Assessment Criteria on the last page of this Project Brief).
At a minimum, your website MUST contain the following multimodal elements:
• Video and/or audio. Links to YouTube (or similar) are OK. Embedded YouTube (or similar) content would be even more professional.
• Minimum of two links to relevant internet news items
• Text (i.e. your written content) Double-check to make sure that any links/content added to your website work properly! REFERENCES Your website must contain a list of all the research references used on your project. The list of references must follow the UTS Harvard Referencing Style Guide which can be downloaded from the UTS library website (relevant to Criterion 8. See Assessment Criteria on the last page of this Project Brief).
If you have any questions regarding this project please do not hesitate to ask your teacher.