n 2008 two large natural gas formations were discovered in the Northeastern United States: The Marcellus and Utica shales. These discoveries transformed the United States, almost overnight, from a net importer of natural gas to natural gas gluten; the cost per dekatherm of gas in the United States dropped from nearly $13.50 to under $3.00. Hydraulic fracturing, a process which has been in existence since the 1940’s, is the method leveraged to acquire natural gas from these formations.
- Maps and Graphics. (n.d.). The Marcellus Center for Outreach and Research. Retrieved from http://www.marcellus.psu.edu/resources-maps-graphics.html
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
The major current concerns regarding natural gas delivery systems in the United States
GET AN ESSAY WRITTEN FOR YOU FROM AS LOW AS $13/PAGE
For this week’s discussion, research answers in order to discuss the following:
- What are the current concerns regarding natural gas delivery systems in the United States? What can be done to improve them?
- Natural gas is often referred to as a ‘bridge’ fuel? What is meant by this, and is this moniker valid?
- What are the benefits or consequences involved with liquefying natural gas in order to export gas acquired from the Marcellus and Utica shales?
- What impact does the discovery of the Marcellus and Utica shales have on US energy policy overall?
Justify your answers with evidence and cite your sources.