List some examples of effective methods for team decision making? List some examples of strategies for avoiding potential liabilities in team decision making? List references
Following are some methods of team decision making with examples.
1. Consensus – It involves agreement of all team members to the conclusion.Discussions and negotiations continue till all team members agree to the outcome. An example is the strategy to plan the route for the expedition to Himalayas.
2. Majority rule – The opinion of individual team members is taken, and the decision is made according to majority of opinion. An example is the voting for a bill in parliament.
3. Minority rule – It is the decision made by a committee formed out of majority to investigate the matter and come out with a decison that is acceptable to all. An example is a high level committee of 3 scientists making a decision over the selection of the nominees for a global project.
4. Averaging – This method is used when a compromise is reached between the parties agreeing over some demands of one and some of the others. An example is the negotiation / deal between two political parties entering into an alliance to govern a region when none of them achieved an absolute majority in election.
5.Expert opinion – This is the case when decision making needs expert opinion and the recommendations of an expert are agreed to by all.
6. Authority rule – In this method, the decision is handed over to the team with or without discussion ( which hardly matters) over the issues. An example is the decision making of an autocratic ruler of a nation suffering from anarchy.
Following are some strategies to avoid liabilities while decision making.
1. Inclusion of all stakeholders in the process.
2. Listening to the views of all and make convincing moves to come to mutual agreement.
3. Make sure that no one suffers from the decision by keeping in mind the disadvantaged groups participating in decision making process.
4. Don’t favour any group or be inclined towards an opinion if you are the one who is making decision.
5. Take conflicts as a part of the process and try to resolve as many as possible.