Customers are not able to recognize the link between project changes/project expand and cost. They just assume that the project contract gives them all the rights to suggest/demand any changes after the project was developed. Lack of communication between the project organization and their clients leads to escalation. As the consulting firm demands more money when the client asks for the changes and argue that they will not pay for any further change because the project firm did not do that thing in the beginning of the project.
Hierarchy of consulting purposes
1. Providing information to a client.
2. Solving a client’s problems.
3. Making a diagnosis, what kind of changes can be done in project as per the future demands
4. Planning recommendations based on the diagnosis.
5. Implementation of recommended solutions.
6. Commitment for corrective action.
7. Facilitating client learning that is, teaching clients how to resolve similar problems in the future.
8. Permanently improving organizational effectiveness.
When we have to hold meetings with the potential customer we need to make the customer understands the benefits of the projects and the complexity of the project. We must sign some kind of terms and conditions as per the demands of the customer in future development that may include the extra required cost. Agenda of the meeting should be clear to the client.