Remembered Event Narrative Essay

Often times we find ourselves thinking about the past only to try to force the memories away and return to our current delusion. We can never erase the past, but if the past is who we are, then should we just welcome pain back into our lives? Embarrassment, guilt, and pride betray us as we choose to bury our darkest memories in our head and look to a positive future without ever having to readdress them and acknowledge that they had ever happened in the first place.

Thinking back now my weakest moment caught me by complete surprise. “Buhahaha” which is exactly how my friend Andrew sounds whenever you can honestly make him laugh. I was just smiling at him and coming up with crazy metaphors, “coke is a roller coaster it has its highs and low points”. We were in charge of “The Line” as my fellow National Honor Society peers put it during the registration process at Morton East High school about two years ago.

The ironic absence of food as we just stood in the cafeteria telling people that they had to wait at our specific checkpoint before they could go to the next registration station table was slapping us in the face. We continued to joke about how they expect us to “work” for free even though our only actual job was to tell people to wait until there was room for them to continue in the café. We were even making plans to go for a run after we got out because “summer” was almost over. We were both in cross country and we enjoyed to run together because we had a similar pace that allowed us to push each other. But time began to freeze as our jokes began to fade. We began to goof off in a sense that though telling people to stop was supposed to be a two person job we would change shifts “Hello” I said in my cheery voice. There was a pause on the other side of the line. Then to my complete surprise my mom began to cry on the other side of the line. Finally, when she calmed down a bit I asked what was wrong and whether or not everything was alright. That is when she told me the news.

“As your father was driving on the expressway (he drives a motorcycle) he was hit by a semi-truck. I need you home now.” This was my wakeup call and I knew that I had to hurry home. “I’m coming home now mom. I’ll be there in a bit. Everything is going to be alright.” Keeping my composure I went to the NHS president and told her that I had a family emergency and that I had to go. For some reason she was giving me a hard time about it but after seeing my eyes she asked if everything was alright. I just said I had to go and she finally let me go without asking anything further of me. I darted out of the cafeteria doors taking a right on the first floor hall way on the east side of the building and then a left I went through one of the schools entrances on 59th court. I live on the same street as the school just three miles away.

At that moment I felt stranded. I did not have my “proper gear” to run it as fast as I could and at the time for some reason I did not bring my car to school. However, I knew I had to get home fast so I took off. As the cars passed me I lost myself in my head. I was not crying or even sad. I was unsure of how I should react. Then the thoughts of what if I never get to talk to him again ran through my head. That is when the tears started to pour down my cheeks as I continued to pant. I was maybe six or seven blocks away from my house when I was starting to have a break down mentally and physically. The lactic acid in my legs was making it hard for me to raise them as I continued to move my legs. Then I started to complain in my head how I should have trained harder because all the running that I did truly mattered at this point. That is when I coincidentally ran into my best friend’s parents who just randomly stopped to say hello to me in their car.

At that moment they realized that there was something wrong. I never showed weakness to someone else before so I did not know what to say. I just in broken English explained what had happened. They told me to get in the car. From there they rushed me home. As I got out of the car so did my friend’s father. He went to my house door with me and waited for my mom to come so he could offer his assistance. Though it was a kind gesture I just thought that we did not need it and well we never took him up on his offer of driving us to the hospital. Honestly at that moment because everything was going so fast we did not even know which hospital he was in. As I finally got into my house I popped open my laptop and began to search for hospitals near the expressway that he got hit and my mother and I started to dial every number listed. After maybe two or three we finally got the right hospital and we without even thinking departed to the hospital.

Thinking back now if it was not for the events that happened that day that revealed to me that life can change on a dime-one minute I am goofing around, the next I receive a call that causes me to panic. I guess I would still be carefree. After that day my father survived with serious injuries and was immobilized for the next few months. In that time I had to step up in my family and take on more responsibilities around the house and well life in general. I had to make sacrifices such as not joining track and cross country because my parents needed me to help around the house and to go to work. Finally when my dad was able to go back to work I was a different person, I no longer relied on other people and I guess I can say I became very dependable because I noticed people would come to me when they started to have problems or they needed help and I would help them.

Still stressed from student homework?
Get quality assistance from academic writers!