The administration at St. John’s Hospital takes pride in its sound policies and procedures for the protection of confidential client information. In fact, it serves as a model for other institutions in the area; however, printouts discarded in the restricted-access information systems department are not shredded. On numerous occasions, personnel working late have observed the cleaning staff reading discarded printouts •Analyze the considerations of HIPAA and patient privacy compliance requirements in planning.
Health Information Privacy with Security Considerations (HIPAA ),it provides rules ,regulations ,process and procedures to meet the requirements of privacy i.e protection of confidential client information,it explains how project planning should be done and the action steps required by hospitals to prepare for implementation.
Following are the considerations of HIPAA –
- Understanding the scope and processes involved in rules, regulations for health information privacy.
- Appreciating the political environment as the privacy rules and regulations are being developed and modified within this enviroment.
- Appreciating the magnitude and scope of the privacy rules and regulations.
- Understanding the importance of the impact that the Security Rule has on healthcare privacy.
- Understanding that privacy is an integral and integrated part of the HIPAA privacy and security rules and regulations.
- Appreciating the importance of systematically preparing and implementing the new privacy rules and regulations.
- Understanding the process of setting up the infrastructure for addressing the various requirements for HIPAA privacy.
- reviewing the important features of developing a “Notice of Health Information Privacy Practices” or NPP and to acknowledge the relationship and privacy consents.
- Understanding the role, purpose and functions of the “Chief Privacy Officer” in the hospital setting as he is incharge of privacy rule implementation.
. 10.Appreciating the changes in patient access to medical records and the new processes for amending or changing medical records.
So,it is important for the administration of St. John’s Hospital takes to be proud of its sound policies and procedures for the protection of confidential client information. In fact, it serves as a model for other institutions in the areas,however, printouts discarded in the restricted-access information systems department are not shredded and on numerous occasions, personnel working late have observed the cleaning staff reading discarded printouts so there was violation of security rules and some action has to be taken for strict implementation of privacy and security rules.So,patient privacy compliance requirements should be followed like-
- Protecting and enhancing the rights of consumers by providing them
- controlling the PHI uses and disclosures
- accessing their health information in a protected manner
- Improving the healthcare quality by retainingthe public trust and willingness to share information
- Improving efficiency and effectiveness by creating uniform nationwide privacy framework