When an HR Department is planning for the future Human Resources needs of an organization, it is also involved in an Internal Assessment of its current workforce. What is the purpose of this activity – Describe briefly
Before an organization plans for its future human resources needs, it should do a thorough internal assessment of its existing workforce due to the following reasons –
- Analyzing the jobs available – All the existing jobs available to the organization has to be analyzed first before it plans for an additional workforce
- Skills required for the jobs – All the skills that are required for the jobs has to be analyzed. Based on that the hiring of the future workforce is strategize
- People currently available to them – The background of the people working in the organization, the ratio of male to female, has to be analyzed. Based on that information organization can plan future workforce.
- Current resources available to them – Analyzing the current resources is very important in this planning process
- Auditing of the jobs and skills – This is done to gain a greater competitive advantage over their competitors
- Organizational capabilities inventory
- Individual employee demographics
- Individual career progression
- Individual performance data
All the above information is needed before planning for the future workforce. Hence, it is very important to perform an internal assessment of the existing resources of the organization.