Read Chapter 10 and 11 – File System Interface and Implementation
Answer the following questions:
1. Consider a file system where a file can be deleted and its disk space reclaimed while links to that file still exist. What problems may occur if a new file is created in the same storage area or with the same absolute path name? How can these problems be avoided?
2. Some systems automatically open a file when it is referenced for the first time and close the file when the job terminates. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this scheme compared with the more traditional one, where the user has to open and close the file explicitly.
3. In what situations would using memory as a RAM disk be more useful than using it as a disk cache?
4. Discuss how performance optimizations for file systems might result in difficulties in maintaining the consistency of the systems in the event of computer crashes.
5. Explain why logging metadata updates ensures recovery of a file system after a file-system crash.