Assume you have been hired by me to work in the management department of our organization. Our employees are complaining about the amount of hindrance stressors they are faced with daily. Write a memo explaining what actions you would take to help ensure that our employees cope with the stressors using a problem-focused (as opposed to emotion-focus) strategy.
Hindrance stressors are a set of demands or targets which are perceived to be stressful and prove an impediment in achieving objectives set by the personnel. These may arise due to ambiguity in job role or a conflict in the workplace and the profile of an individual.
In pursuing a problem focused strategy, the focus is to remove the source of the stress by doing a root cause analysis and arrive at a solution which causes the same. So, in this case, the memo contains the following:-
Greetings to all.
As I am made aware of the fact that we have a wonderful team which always strives to achieve the organizational targets and have excellent camaraderie, I also realize that some of the team members may be facing undue stress due to job overload or conflicts in job role and other issues. I would request all the team members to assist each one in overcoming these problems through a structured problem-solving approach as outlined below.
- Identify the root cause of the stress by doing 5 why analysis.
- Brainstorm on possible reasons for the existence of root cause.
- Discuss among team to understand how to eliminate the root cause and short list alternatives to solve the problem.
- Select the one alternative to be implemented based on discussion and consensus.
- Implement the course of action selected.
- Monitor and review to ensure that root cause of stress is eliminated.