1. What kinds of systems are described in this case? Identify and describe the business processes each supports. Describe the inputs, processes, and outputs of these systems. Transaction processing system.
They are taking and customizing orders using a touch-screen interface, maintaining sales figures, and compiling customer information. inputs, they capture data about customer orders, purchase orders etc. processes, they record these data, and store it in host machine. outputs are in the form of documents such as income statement, sales figures and customer information.
Decision support system
Input: Overcome its reputation for poor quality of home delivered pizza Process: improved ingredients and freshness of pizza, implementing pulse, online tracker and polling output: online orders account for almost 20% of all domino’s orders. Online ordering system
Input: taking online orders process: making pizza and providing online status of pizza ordered Output: pizza delivered
2. How do these systems help Domino’s improve its business performance?
These systems can reduce business costs, improve information accuracy, and improve service level.
And each transaction is processed immediately and the affected records are updated.
3. How did the online pizza ordering system improve the process of ordering a Domino’s pizza?
According to the case, consumers can go to Domino’s website through connecting with the Internet anywhere, and order pizzas whatever they like. The system allows customers to watch a simulated photographic version of their pizza as they customize its size, sauces, and toppings. The image changes with each change a customer makes. Then, once customers place an order, they are able to view its progress online with Pizza Tracker. Pizza Tracker displays a horizontal bar that tracks an order’s progress graphically. Consumers can know anything about their orders. The system also reduces the mistake.
4. How effective are these systems in giving Domino’s a competitive edge? Explain your answer. Pizza Tracker and the simulated pizza features are more convenient than others. The system is easier to update and more secure, Other companies, like Pizza Hut and Papa John, also have online ordering capability, but lack the Pizza Tracker and the simulated pizza features that Domino’s has successfully implemented. Company improved its customer service, reduced mistakes, and reduced training times by improving its transaction processing system. Pizzas Tracker and on-line ordering system let them have more competition in the market.
MIS IN ACTION
1. What steps does pizza tracker displays for the user? How does the pizza tracker improve the customer experience? The pizza tracker displays the 5 step shown in the following figure:
The first step in Dominos Pizza Tracker is “Order Placed” and you see the name of who took your order. The second step is “Prep” which takes into effect immediately after order is placed and is not updated by the dominos team but by the system itself. At this step you see the name of the person prepping the order. The 3rd Step is “Bake”. At this point the order is placed in the conveyor oven. The 4th step is the “Quality Check”. At this point you see the name of the person that is going to pack your order and they check the pizza for imperfections, then they pack it and send it out for delivery. The 5th and Final Step is ”Out for Delivery” which of course means its out for delivery.
The entire process according to dominos takes about 30 minutes or less. The Domino’s Tracker improve the customer experience by making ordering pizza interactive, fun and efficient- all with a personal touch. 2. Would the pizza tracker service influence you to order pizza from domino’s instead of a competing chain? Why or why not? Yes, it influenced me to order at least once from online system to experience the service of domino’s. 3. What improvements would you make to the order placement feature? I want it to be more user friendly.
CASE STUDY 2
VIRTUAL MEETINGS: SMART MANAGEMENT
CASE STUDY QUESTIONS
1.) One consulting firm has predicted that video and web conferencing will make business travel extinct. Do you agree? Why or why not? Yes I agree because it is one of the most revolutionary development in communications technology, and has greatly influenced the way businesses work and facilitates effective communication while reducing infrastructure costs. Cuts down on travel expenses and time. Since managers and employees do not move from their office, a company can save considerable amounts of money. It also saves precious time, which can be utilized for other works and increase productivity. 2.) What are the distinction between video conferencing and telepresence?
A videoconference allows individuals at two or more locations to communicate simultaneously through two way video and audio transmission. Video conferencing systems display sharp high definition tv images. The top of the line video conferencing technology is known as telepresence. Telepresence strives to make users feel as if they are actually present in a location different from their own. Telepresence products provide the highest quality video conferencing available on the market to date. 3.) What are the ways in which video conferencing provides value to a business? Would you consider it smart management? Explain your answer.
* A face-to-face experience rather than an auditory one (phone/teleconference). Therefore you have all the clues from nonverbal communication. * Time factor. Videoconferencing saves so much time. This to me this is the big plus. * Cost factor—reduction in travel.
4.) If you were in charge of a small business would you choose to implement video conferencing? What factors would you consider in your decision? I don’t think I will implement videoconferencing for a small business, because the profit I have will far less than the cost of the videoconferencing, it is no need to use the-top–of-the-line to in charge of a small business or company.
MIS IN ACTION
1. List and describe its capabilities for small-medium and large businesses. How useful is Webex? How can it help companies save time & money? Capabilities for small business
• Gateways and terminations
• Installation and configuration
• Call control features
• Automated attendant
• Hunt group
• Music on hold
• Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunking
• Management and reporting
• Basic automatic call distributor (ACD)
• Third-party integration
Capabilities for medium business
• Cisco Unified Personal Communicator voicemail integration • Cisco Unity Connection Inbox web browser interface to voice messages • Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP)-based email client to access voice messages • desktop email client using the built-in ViewMail for Outlook or ViewMail for Notes player • Visual voicemail on your Cisco Unified IP Phone
Capabilities for large business
• Shorten the sales cycle
• Through networking seminars and product launches get sales leads • Create first-class e-learning program
• Solve technical issues faster
• Improve cross-enterprise collaboration
WebEx is a very useful system for business. The WebEx can be used on desktop, laptop, smart phone as long as internet is acquired. You can use it to have a meeting or demonstrate a product everywhere and anytime. It also can make a sales presentation and hold a webinar or press conference. It didn’t limit by time, place or other factors. You can save time and money because you don’t have to care about finding a cozy place and also don’t need to print out the files. It helps many multinational enterprises to decrease their cost from business trip and personnel costs.
2. Compare webex video capabilities with the video conferencing capabilities described in the case. Webex has much more advance technologies that are described in the case. The technologies provided by webex are listed below:
Mobility: Meet on your smartphone or tablet
Meeting Spaces: A centralized place for files, meeting notes, and comments Record and playback meetings: Share with colleagues and view any time Instant Messaging: See who’s online and chat
Drawing Tools: Mark up or draw on shared documents and applications
Windows, Mac, Linux
Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption
Enterprise grade reliability, scalability, and security
Schedule and start meetings right from Microsoft Outlook
3. Describe the steps you would take to prepare for a web conference as opposed to a face to face conference? If you start to use WebEx conference, all you have to do is to prepare a desktop or laptop with internet and click to connect the meeting, talk to them like you and your customer are face to face, you even don’t have to see a document with paper copies, you only need to click and move the mouse. You also can note or mark even correct it immediately.